22 March, 2007
Nukulau Island Photos
Nukulau Island, which is off to the east coast of Suva but still within the greater Suva reef, has had a very colourful past. It began in the late 1800s when the American representative to Fiji resided on the island. While there, his residence was burnt down by the native Fijians. Due to pressures to pay up for the damages, the Cakobau Government then sought protection from Queen Victoria by ceding Fiji to Great Britain in 1874. That began Fiji's history as a British colony which ended at Independence in 1970. In the 1970s and 1980s, Nukulau was a favourite picnic and recreational spot for Suva residents and tourists who were drawn there for its white sandy beaches and azure blue seas. This changed in the 2000s when the island was converted into an island prison to accommodate those convicted of the 2000 Fiji coup. Late December 2006, the Interim Government requested that all prisoners on the island be billeted to other prisons to free up the island again for recreational use. The latest developments regarding the island is that the Suva City Council is seeking a lease over it as part of the Council's plans to start a Suva harbour cruise with stops at Nukulau and surrounding islands. Here are some photos taken of Nukulau by Adi Nacola, a local camera enthusiast.